Today’s prompt was a fun challenge: feed 4 people for $4. I like this idea, even though on most days I’m feeding one or two on whatever budget that week has. My meal has a lot of flexibility if you need to change things to fit your budget or if you feel portions aren’t right.
Here are a few notes on my dish and my budget
- Sweet Potatoes are usually fairly cheap here in NC; that might not be the case where you live. Feel free to season any kind of potato or squash for the recipe (I like sweet potato for cost, taste, and health)
- Quinoa is usually expensive, but I get it at Costco. I pay $10 for a 5lb bag. That helps reduce the cost. Rice would be an easy substitute if it fits better with your budget and what stores are available to you.
- I used a can of beans. However, dried beans are cheaper (usually) and you can probably get more bean for the buck if you want to provide more food that way.
- I had no idea how to budget my spices we shop all over the place and pick up spices at varying costs: there’s Costco, the Asian grocery, the Hispanic grocery, the regular grocery stores we all shop at. I’m just using 50 cents for the sake of this post (sorry if it isn’t accurate.
- If you want to splurge I think an avocado would be lovely sliced onto the top, but that wouldn’t fit in the feeding 4 for $4 budget.
Here is the cost breakdown for the meal:
$1.50- two sweet potatoes (1.5lb) at 99cents a lb.
$0.70-One Cup quinoa
$0.50- One can of Black Beans (store brand at WalMart)
$0.50- Assorted Spices
$0.30- Drizzle of Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 2 Cups Water
- 1/2 Tablespoon Taco Seasoning
Combine all and cook in rice cooker (or in a sauce pan).
Spicy Black Beans
- 1 Can Black Beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 Tablespoon Diced Chipotle in Adobo
Combine in a small sauce pan and cook until warm.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Sweet Potatoes, Cubed (you can peel or not, it depends on your personal preference)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Drizzle of Olive Oil
Preheat Oven to 350. Toss all ingredients together in a bowl. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet until potatoes are tender.
Portion all ingredients into tour favorite bowls.