Today’s prompt is a cartoon inspired cake. One of my favorite cartoons/animated shows is Metalocalypse. It ran on Adult Swim on Cartoon Network when I was younger. I loved the show, the music, and I even went to a Dethklok concert when I was in college.
So what’s more metal than a devils’ black metal forest cake? I’ve seen several other veganmofo bloggers make pop cakes and I decided to give it a try. I bought a box of vegan devil’s food cake mix and some Cheerwine (which is a cherry soda made here in NC, though it might be available all over the US now. I highly recommend trying it if you can get it). I also purchased my whipped cream, though you can make your own.
I had some issues with baking. I was dumb and forgot to put parchment paper in the baking pans, rookie mistake. Sure enough my cakes got stuck and broke. But what’s more brutal than a cake that’s been ripped apart? So I used all my ingredients and made a trifle. I have zero decorating skills, but I think the ugliness gives it some charm. I wish I has a prettier serving dish, but I only had a food storage container.
Clearly, this recipe will also work as a cake, if you remember to use parchment paper.
The Devil’s Black Metal Forest Trifle
- 1 Recipe Pop Cake
- Vegan Whipped Cream
- Cherry Goo
- 1 Box Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 12 oz Can or Glass Bottle Cheerwine or other cherry pop
- Preheat oven to package directions and prep pans (use parchment paper if you want cake instead of trifle!)
- Mix cake mix and cherry pop.
- Divide amongst your pans.
- Bake until a toothpick come out clean (about 20-25 minutes).
16 oz Frozen Cherries
1/4 Cup Kirsch
- Mix ingredients in a sauce pan and cook over medium or high (whatever works on your stove) heat until liquid reduces by about half.
To Assemble Trifle
- Line the bottom of your container with cake pieces from one cake.
- Dollup the outer edges of the cake pieces with whipped cream.
- Fill in the rest of the area with cherry goo, saving half of it.
- Place cake pieces from the other cake on top of the whipped cream and cherry goo.
- Repeat the same process as on the bottom half. Only maybe make it look pretty if you want.